Summer is here, so I’m thinking fresh-faced is the way to go! I absolutely love that “effortlessly” chick and pretty makeup that looks good for whatever your have planned for the day. Its still very versatile, so if I feel like vamping it up halfway through the day, I just swap a bright lip shade and I am ready to go!
Start off with a smooth base
- Since I won’t be applying any heavy foundations, I make sure my skin is extra prepped by gently scrubbing away any dead skin cells with a scrub and cold water; this increases circulation and blood flow to the face, giving it a glow. An easy and quick DIY for this is a cucumber sugar scrub. Cucumber is a natural toner that helps to tighten open pores and helps to reduce morning puffiness cool down. The sugar is gentle on the skin and the coconut oil gives radiance and hydration to the skin.
RECIPE: mix ½ cup of fresh cucumber juice + ½ cup white sugar + ¼ coconut oil. Store airtight, up to 1 week in the fridge.
Dewy healthy skin
Benefit Total Moisture Facial Cream
hydra-concentrated facial cream with tri-radiance complex-$42.00 – 48.2 g
- I achieve a dewy, healthy skin glow using the right moisturizer, this makes all the difference to me. Total Moisture is rich and ‘fresh like’ all at the same time. I was pleasantly surprised to see it left my skin soft, smooth and radiant getting along perfectly with my makeup base. It’s fairly heavily scented but I happen to love the smell, especially in the mornings. The packaging is so pretty and very ‘Benefit’, but, it’s not very sanitary and although I appreciate the cute bulky glass jar, a pump would be more practical. As most of Benefits cosmetics, it is very pricey, but I can overlook this since just a little will do for every use.
Swap foundation for BB
Holika Holika – Aqua Jelly BB
Water-Based BB Cream – $26.00 – 40ml
- I skip foundation and go for a bb instead. Aqua Jelly is composed out of 80% Aqua Mint Water, so it feels kind of cooling ~ jelly ~ like but when applied it turns into a very liquid aqua texture. It dries quiet fast on the skin so its best to work with thin layers and small areas at the time, keeping 2 minutes in between layers to avoid buildup. I find it blends best with my stippling airbrush (Realtechniques) and finish of with the sponge (dry!) included, dabbing lightly to even out any visible strokes! It does feel slightly tacky for a few minutes but afterwards it stays very well put. It can be buildup up to medium coverage and has a semi matt finish, but definitely gives that feeling of “fresh faced” or “second skin”. I absolutely love this BB cream except for, as for most bb’s, it only comes in 2 shades! They are both quiet light, but nothing that a little bit of bronzing can fix. Mine, num.2 Aqua Natural, is a neutral in between warm and cool (num. 1 Aqua Beige is more on the warmer side and slightly lighter).
Holika Holika – Naked Face Cover Up Concealer SPF30/PA++ -$8.00 – 15ml
Benefit – high beam liquid -$26.00 -13 ml
- for brightening tired-looking eyes, I take my Holika Holika Naked Face Cover Up Concealer and mix it with a bit of Benefits High Bean (or any other liquid highlighter) This turns any regular concealer into a light – reflecting concealer.
- A tiny little droplet of the mixture is enough to cover any darker area on the face and blends in very smooth. It feels very dewy and moisturizing and stays put for about 5 hours, which is ‘ok’ for me because I can bring it along for retouches in my purse and when reapplying it doesn’t’t look cakey nor heavy. I will also apply it anwywher I want the light to reflect like nose, cheekbones and forehead.
Innisfree- Mineral single shadow – Matte -No.2 Snug warmer – $5.00
Kiko Milano – Perfect Eyes Duo Highlighter Pencil – $5.00
- Since I keep my base looking shiny and dewy, I like to keep my eyes matt and just add some natural definition to them. Innisfree Matt no.2 is a warm neutral that does exactly that. Its fine pigment blends into a velvety matt texture, perfect to wear on its own or as a blending color.
- To light up my eyes, I absolutely adore the Jumbo double-ended highlighter pencil from Kiko. One side is a matt ivory shade, that is so far the most smooth and high pigmented pencil I have used for my lower water line. It beats my Chanel, Rimmel and Mac kohl nude eyeliners without a doubt! The color is just spot on and stays on for couple of hours.
- The other side comes in a pearly color shade, very pretty for brightening my lower lash line and the inner corner of my eye.
&OtherStories Blusher . Canvas Taupe. $12.00
Kiko Super Gloss . Pearly Gold. $6.00
- Natural flush, with a hint of sun kissed shade, is just perfect for summer days! Canvas Taupe is one of those universal flattering shades that any skin colour could pull off. The quality of it is as good as any other high-end blusher and stays put pretty much all day long!
- For my lips I like to keep it glossy, and a bit bronzed. Pearly Gold has the right amount of glitter and colour to give a warm-cool glow.
How have you been doing your makeup lately?
x Josune, YourBeautyScript